- This month, people in North America will be able to see the first of a lunar eclipse tetrad—a series of 4 consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six month intervals. Weather permitting, the April 15 lunar eclipse is expected to be visible across the entirety of North America. This stunning red moon is also known as blood moon.
- An egg donor – a misnomer if there ever was one – tells her story of the process in BUST magazine.
- The Centers for Disease Control has documented a rare case of lesbian transmission of HIV in the U.S.
- Buzzfeed, home of gif-illustrated listicles and interactive quizzes as varied as which member of The Simpsons are you and what type of igneous rock do you most resemble, deserves all of the prizes this week with their How Metal Your Period? quiz. I’ve lost track of how many people have shared this with me or posted on Facebook. I’m seeing women who usually wouldn’t post about periods posting their results from this quiz, with giggly praise for about how “normalizing” it is. Juliana Jiménez Jaramillo even said as much at Slate. A few sample answers:
- Your uterus is a dark storm cloud and once a month it RAINS BLOOD out of your vagina for days on end. You, my friend, are very fucking metal.
- If Satan himself sacrificed a thousand demon goats, it wouldn’t be half as bloody as what your uterus expels each month. You are the most metal, my friend.
- This is an astonishing photo exhibit of ”the 14 most beautiful vaginas on the planet“.
- There is deafening silence around miscarriage, whether pregnancy is intended or unintended. Here is a small plea for some noise and understanding: ‘You Didn’t Want it Anyway, So Why Are You So Upset?’
Readers should note that statements published in re: Cycling are those of individual authors and do not necessarily reflect the positions of the Society as a whole.