- The video at right was made by the editor of the student newspaper, The Easterner, at Eastern Washington University, where I teach. I swear, I didn’t put her up to it! She made this video before I met her, when she came to interview me for the accompanying article.
- Tumblr user StewieIsMyHomeboy explains how to deal with a woman in your life who is on her period, because apparently there are still some people mystified by this.
- A new study in the Swedish journal, Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, reports that endometriosis may occur in adolescence. The disease is thought mostly to affect adult women, but apparently certain markers in adolescence are associated with a subsequent diagnosis of the disease.
- Talking about the men in menstruation with our own man in menstruation: re:Cycling contributor David Linton was the guest on Leslie Botha’s radio show, Holy Hormones, Honey!, on April 22. You can listen to the whole thing here.
- Tavi Gevinson’s version of Sassy for today’s teens, Rookie, has a thorough article about what young women wish they knew about periods: “Pointers for those who menstruate, or are about to“.
- There’s a new kind of menstrual education in town! Meet the Menstrual Doula.
- Users of Fertility Awareness Methods/Natural Family Planning are sure to appreciate this collection of illustrative gifs.
- FDA Creates New Mobile Cellphone App to Help Doctors And Consumers Report Deaths and Injuries From Medical Devices and Drugs. They promise not to sell your data.This could make a big difference in the reporting and collecting of data regarding adverse effects of all kinds of medications.
- Many re:Cycling readers are familiar with Menstrala, the menstrual art of Vanessa Tiegs (featured in a special menstruation-themed issue of Women’s Studies), or perhaps other artists who paint with menstrual blood. Laura Wershler sent in this link to Beauty in Blood, a project dedicated to capturing the natural beauty of menstrual blood flowing in water.
- Documentary filmmakers are casting women in their twenties and thirties to be part of a feature documentary based on a forthcoming book, Sweetening the Pill or How We Got Hooked on Hormonal Birth Control. If you’re in L.A. (or can get there easily), you could be in it. More detail here.
2 Responses to “Empty Tampon Dispensers, Adolescent Endometriosis, Something about the Men in Menstruation, & More Weekend Links”
Leave a Reply
Readers should note that statements published in re: Cycling are those of individual authors and do not necessarily reflect the positions of the Society as a whole.