Blog of the Society for Menstrual Cycle Research

Coming off Depo-Provera can be a woman’s worst nightmare

April 4th, 2012 by Laura Wershler

Need proof that women are sometimes desperate for information and support when it comes to quitting hormonal contraception? You need look no further than the 100 plus comments in reply to an old blog posting at Our Bodies OurselvesQuestions About Side Effects of Stopping Contraceptive Injections.  The comment stream – a litany of woes concerning women’s discontinuation of Depo-Provera – has been active since Nov. 2, 2009.

On March 29, 2012, Rachel, author of the post, wrote a follow-up piece in which she laments: “Although a quick internet search finds many women complaining of or asking about post-Depo symptoms, there isn’t much published scientific evidence on the topic.” Beyond research about bone density and length of time to return to fertility, little is known about the withdrawal symptoms women have been commenting about.

Depo-Provera is the 4-times-a-year birth control injection that carries an FDA “black box” warning that long-term use is associated with significant bone mineral density loss.  Never a fan, I made a case against this contraceptive in a paper for Canadian Woman Studies, published in 2005. The comments on the OBOS post indicate that many women took Depo-Provera without full knowledge of the potential for serious side effects while taking it, or of what to expect while coming off the drug.

Considering that Depo-Provera completely suppresses normal reproductive endocrine function, it is not surprising that many women experience extreme or confusing symptoms once stopping it. Take Lissa’s comment for example, posted on February 21, 2011:

Omg I thought I was tripping. I have been on depo for a year and stopped in jan. My breasts constantly hurt, I put on weight, have hot flashes, and sleeping problems. I pray everyday my cycle returns and stops playing with me. I only spot lightly.

Two and a half years after publication, the original article continues to garner monthly comments. I’ve read most of them and have yet to see one that offers concrete advice or a referral to resources that provide information and support to women looking for both. One such resource is Coming Off The Pill, the Patch, the Shot and Other Hormonal Contraceptives, a comprehensive, clinical-based guide to assist women transition back to menstruation and fertility, written by Megan Lalonde and Geraldine Matus.

Lalonde, a Holistic Reproductive Health Practitioner, and Certified Professional Midwife, helps women establish healthy, ovulatory cycles after using hormonal contraception. She says that women who’ve used Depo-Provera generally experience the most obvious symptoms and have the hardest time returning to fertility.  She finds that every client’s experience is different and will be affected by the status of their cycles before taking the drug, and their overall health. “It can take time to regain normal menstrual cycles, from a few months to 18 months, in my experience,” says Lalonde. “Some women have minimal symptoms while their own cycles resume, while others might have significant symptoms, including mood changes, unusual spotting and breast tenderness.”

The comments to the Our Bodies Ourselves blog post demonstrate that many women are not finding the acknowledgement and support they need to understand and manage the post-Depo transition. Some are disheartening to read, like this comment by Judy from April 12, 2011, and this recent one posted by Melani on March 21, 2012.

In my last re: Cycling post, I asked for input on the Coming Off the Pill Mind Map I created. I’ll be making a few revisions thanks to the thoughtful feedback readers have provided. I had assumed that this guide would be applicable to all methods of hormonal birth control but, after reading these women’s comments about their Depo-Provera experiences, it appears this contraceptive may require its own branch on the mind map.

807 Responses to “Coming off Depo-Provera can be a woman’s worst nightmare”

1. Beki says:

I was put on the depo shot for stage 3 endometriosis. I have now been on the Depo shot for 11 months. It is sad to say it hasn’t helped me for the pain, and the cons are worse then the pros.
    1. It gave me severe acne for 10.5 months
    2. I get a weeks worth of headaches after every shot.
    3. A few days after the shot, I get a day of
    depression/anxiety
    4. 25 pound weight gain in 6 months
    5. Bone, hip, and knee pain for 2 weeks after the shot. To
    the point of where it feels like my knee is going to pop out.
    6. Near constant spotting or bleeding through the WHOLE process.
    7. Almost daily Endometriosis pain, it never stopped it more then 15 days out of almost 365.
    8. Some itching at the shot site for 2 weeks.

Now, some good things….. It totally helped with my PMS mood swings. Like I rarely had a problem.
    And it let me have normal girl cramps. Like I didn’t know I started my real period. I was pleasantly surprised about the pain level for my periods.

2. Brie says:

I’ve been on it for a year and I do not like it at all..when I first get the shot I’ll be good for 2wks no spotting or nothing and then until my next shot I am bleeding ..like I have a full blow cycle for most of the year and I thought it would get better by each shot but it didn’t

3. Britney says:

I was on depo for one year. Since coming off this (last shot should have been Dec 7) I have no desire to be on this anymore so I decided I was done. Well since being off this shot I am miserable. My boobs are sore and swollen and hurt like Hell, I am achy, usually just arms neck and hands but my entire body at times. I thought I had the flu even went to my family doctor and blood work and everything were normal. If I would have known I would have to live this way for months I would have never had this shot. I have googled everything and just want to know have other people experienced all these aches and pains??? I am soo sick of feeling like this.

• Veronica says:

I experienced the same thing got the shot Oct. 17,2014 was due for another jan2 didn’t get it I have been bleeding for 2months on and off Deppression body aches just feeling bad only had 1 shot never again will I get this

4. amber says:

I was on the shot for about a year and I was due for another one on Christmas but never had time for it. Now, I bleed like no other, but it’s on and off, and the blood looks like I just sliced my arm open. I’m constantly moody & I’ve broken out real bad. I’m not sure if I should just get back on the shot or try something else. When I was on the shot, the first two weeks I wouldn’t bleed, but then after that, I bled until the next shot.

5. Shelly says:

I got the shot in the beginning of August & was supposed to get my 2nd shot before thanksgiving but I refused! I had non stop bleeding & at one time I cramped really bad, worse than. I ever have. I never cramped when I didn’t take Depo. It’s been 6 months since I’ve taken the shot & I feel horrible!!! I have gained so much wait, I ache, I’m moody all the time, & nauseous. . I just feel so worn out! HELP. Does anyone know how long after taking Depo the side effects go away???? I CANNOT take this anymore. I feel pregnant all the time. I just want to feel normal!

6. Savannah says:

I’ve always had painful periods, i’ve tried the pill and the patch and they made me psycho with irregular periods and the patch would fall off. After having my first son (he’s 7 now) I first started the shot bc is was ok to use while breastfeeding. I was on it for about 9 months with no problems, I actually loved it bc my periods went away! When I came off to try and get pregnant again I had a really difficult time conceiving and acne began to flare up. Finally after 3.5 yrs I became pregnant with my 2nd son (who is now 3) and after having him I got right back on the depo shot and have been on it ever since. My acne is worse than ever and I’m putting on more weight, which now is depressing me! I’m also not very motivated to work out due to my acne, I feel I cannot go in public without 2 pounds of makeup… I feel like this all happened within the last year and don’t know why? Im afraid to come off of it though… Painful periods and all the other side effects I’ve read about. Has anybody experienced this? Any advice would be appreciated

7. sunshine says:

I’ve been off the shot 2 months now and have non stop spotting. The mood swings are insane. My cramps and back pain are intense …I feel emotionally unstable …

• Joane Marquez says:

Hi, I also have the same problem. I stopped having injectibles two months ago and I already had two set of longer periods. One was last December 28 which went on for almost two weeks. I thought it was the start of my regular periods but just today, I am bleeding again. Worse bleeding like I just had a miscarriage. Does anyone knows what to do? I would like to go to the doctor but this might be a usual case for a woman who stopped taking that contraceptive. I hope someone can help us or tell us what is the best thing to do. Should I really need to see a doctor? Thank you so much!

• Joane Marquez says:

Hi, I also have the same problem. I stopped having injectibles two months ago and I already had two sets of longer periods. One was last December 28 which went on for almost two weeks. I thought it was the start of my regular periods but just today, I am bleeding again. Worse bleeding like I just had a miscarriage. Does anyone knows what to do? I would like to go to the doctor but this might be a usual case for a woman who stopped taking that contraceptive. I hope someone can help us or tell us what is the best thing to do. Should I really need to see a doctor? Thank you so much!

8. Vanna says:

I have been on depo since getting a D&C IN 2013. I didnt even realize i had been on that long. I missed my last shot in December of 2014 and now my boobd hurt like they are engorged like when i had my kids. I mean these boobs are swollen and they HURT! And then my legs get so still and hurt like they ate gonna break off my body. Some days i cant hardly get up to walk. Finally a nurse told me that o should be taking calcium pills. And they do help they work better than pain meds but the pain comes back. As i write this right now laying in my bed my legs hurt like hell. Sorry to curse but im 30 and i feel like im 80 with evert type of arthritis there is

9. erica cis says:

ive been on the depo shot for almost 10 years and finally decided 3 months ago when I was due for my next shot not to do it because I want to one day have children and im almost 30 years old plus I feel that I do not want toxins in my body from being on the shot for so many years ( I was never told that I shouldn’t be on it for more than 2 years) . the past 3 months that ive been off the shot ive noticed that I constantly have been getting really bad headaches , depression, and tiredness and ive never experienced these symptoms before … the only good thing is that my skin has cleared up because I feel the depo was causing my horrible acne. My question is will these symptoms go away soon if they are from stopping the use of getting the depo shot?? has anyone else experienced this ?

10. Brittany E. says:

I have had similar sypmtoms as well, but not all of them. I was on depo for nearly two years in total with a small break in the middle because i was unable to find a doctor for a short period of time when i moved states. But now ive decided recently to not take anymore shots since im over two years now. Im having spotting issues every week for two to four days at a time. The cramps suck. And my main problem is SLEEP. I sleep constantly! Like right now i just woke up from six hours about an hour ago and i wanna go back to bed already! Also i het leg pains that feel like horrid growing pains. My pelvic area right before my thighs stiff up sometimes to where if i move too sudden they almost make a pop but i end up suddenly stopping it because it hurts a like living hell. My hips ache alot and it feels like im in my late fortys with arthritus. Now mind you im only just recently 21 years old….i dont have breast tenderness though. Anyways…..whatever anyone does you shouldnt take depo if your considering it as a contrasceptive…just be safe by using condoms and paying attention to make sure you dont get pregnant of your not ready.

11. shaun says:

I had my first depo shot in sept was supposed to get my second on in december but didn’t, my cycle has not returned and I’m always moody and feel pregnant with all the symptoms

12. Jacqueline says:

I was on depo for 5 years and 1 month. My doctor said it was safe since I was healthy. I have been off of it for 2ish months and my boobs hurt as if they were bruised and got really big. My period is just comming back and im scared its going to come back with a vengeance. Has anyone dealt with this before? How bad was your period?

13. Deborah says:

I’ve been having a really bad reaction in my scalp since I have gotten off the depo shot it’s very itchy and irraiting I was On it for 4 years .. Can anybody help me. ?

• Brandi says:

Wow. I’ve experienced the same thing and never connected the two until reading this! I’ve been more focused on the exteme breast tenderness, and didnt think the scalp Issue was related.

14. Carrie-anne says:

15. Carrie-anne says:

Im 33 and had my shot in June 14, i decided not to have my second shot in September. It’s now January and I’ve had my first period sinc and is like hell.. Pain in my back, stomach and breasts.. My period is really heavy with very large clots, which I found shocking. Wheras when in my 20s I had my shot regularly. No problems, if I missed a shot my period would start within days.. Now feeling like a mad women, my emotions are all over the place. Eshot

16. Kira says:

I have been on deposit for 2 years and been off of it going on 6 months and my breast are extremely tender, especially my nipples. Also a lot of acne and feeling like im pregnant all the time. I also did not get my period back yet and I’m terrified! I will never go back on this again

• shawna says:

I had the same issue!
      But my period took 10 months till it came back. And I also have extremely horrible acne and my boob are sore. To the point bras are painful to wear.
      Give it some time. It all has to get out of your system. Lest its what IV been telling myself. Instead of being upset over acne and soar boobs.

• nondumiso says:

Hi I had 3 shot of depo (started january 2014)I was sappose to take another 1 in october 2014 I ddnt now its february 2015 my periods hasn’t come what going on when are they comming back is this 1 of Depos side effect? Or I have a problem!

• nondumiso says:

Hi I had 3 shot of depo (started january 2014)I was sappose to take another 1 in october 2014 I ddnt now its february 2015 my periods hasn’t come what going on when are they comming back is this 1 of Depos side effect? Or I have a problem?

17. Sarah says:

I went on the depo shot at 16 for non pregnancy reasons. My cycles were very painful and draining to the point I couldn’t function regularly. I strongly feel like hormone imbalances led to other unrelated symptoms I was having: digestive issues, extreme fatigue, headaches. The convienience of only having a few periods of year was something I was longing for. Within 3 months of being on the shot I gained 20 lbs.. which was about the only unpleasant symptom until now. 2 years off the shot my body is still not regular, my periods became even MORE heavy the symptoms have amplified x10, I’m not ovulating. hoping in the future i won’t experience fertility issues. I’m just desperate to have my body balanced again. If I would’ve known the effects the depo shot would have on me long term I would have never considered it as an option or birth control in general.

18. Flo says:

I been on the depo provera for 6 months. It was my first time ever using any kind of birth control. My last shot was Dec 22, 2014 and I was due for the next one on Feb, 22, 2014 but I never went back. After I got off, I started experiencing most of the symptoms that are described above e.g mood swings, bloading, weight gains, headache, sporting for two weeks but light. Now after almost a year being off the depo shot I still feels that my body is not back to it’s normality. For the past three months though my period seems like it’s becoming normal and it comes monthly now but not sure if am ovulating. Now am so ready to start my family but it’s seems like it’s taking so long but I hope and pray that by the end of this year God will us with a child. I regret getting depo shot much!! Only if I did I a little research before the injection it would have been a different story. Please for those of you out there that want to try, please think twice. Now my question is, did anyone get injected in their bottom right/upper abdomen? Is is suppose to be injected in that part of yourbody? Would it decreased my chances of having kids or conceiving now? Because the nurse that gave me injection, she shot me at bottom of my right abdomen. Thanks for sharing yall experiences. This is a lesson.

19. Jess says:

I was on the shot for maybe about a year and a half and I decided not to tak it anymore due to the side affects happening whole I was on it. I now am regretting taking this shot because they warned me about the side affects while on the shot but never warned me about what would happen after words. I gained 30 pounds, I have an abnormal period, my breasts are tender, I’m moody all the time, and i have syptoms that make it seem like I’m pregnant. I just want to know when this is all supposed to end because I have been off the shot for nearly 2-3 months now and I can’t take it anymore! I need a regular period and I need to feel more comfortable with my body.

20. Meryl Martinez says:

hi, my last shot was just last december 30, 2014. i just wanna ask if i can be pregnant immediately, as in now? because my OB told me that i’ll be fertile again on january 12. so i’m confused.

21. Meryl Martinez says:

hi, my last shot on december 30, 2014. i just wanna ask if i can be pregnant immediately, as in now? because my OB told me that i’ll be fertile again on january 12. so i’m confused.

22. Meryl Martinez says:

hi, my last shot due on december 30, 2014. just wanna ask if i can be pregnant immediately, as in now? because my OB told me that i’ll be fertile again on january 12. so i’m confused.

23. Meryl Martinez says:

24. Meryl Martinez says:

25. Meryl Martinez says:

hi, my last shot due on december 30, 2014. just wanna ask if i can be pregnant immediately?

26. Meryl Martinez says:

can i be pregnant immediately after stopping the shot for not more than 1 month?

27. Erin says:

hi all. I’m 24I was on the shot for nearly 2 years, was due for my last shot in December but decided not to due to massive mood swings. I was fine on it, didn’t get my period at all which was great, did gain weight and was extremely moody and irritable.
    I am angry that the doctors do not tell us more about this drug, the havoc it causes to your body.
    Been off it a month now, for the first month my breasts were very tender and just ached, they couldn’t be touched at all they were just top sensitive.
    I got my first period since it last week which was fine, except for the horrible cramps before it (which I never used to get) My period stopped for a day and now it’s almost like it’s back again, but more like breakthrough bleeding that just won’t stop. . I’m so upset that the doctor didn’t properly inform about what happens on and off this needle. I just want my body to go back to its normal balance so I can learn who I am without all this hormones and mood swings! .. I feel ya ladies. This sucks

• brittani says:

You may want to get checked for cysts on your ovaries. I’ve been having this problem, started having the cramps my last 2 shots. My Dr said I have cysts on my ovaries. Never had this problem before until I’d been on the shot for 2 years. I still have to go back to see if they’re cancerous..

28. Cher says:

I had only 2 shots of depo my last shot was June 2014.
    I had constant brown discharge from while I was on it to when I came off right up until last week I now have had tender boobs,urinating more and no disharge. I have pregnant symptoms and no period but my last shot was 7 months ago what is going on! Some people have said maybe this is my body starting to get back to normal but I just wish I would get a period so that I know what’s going in

29. Cher says:

I had only 2 shots of depo my last shot was June 2014.

30. Cher says:

I had only 2 shots of depo my last shot was June 2014.

31. Cher says:

I had only 2 shots of depo my last shot was June 2014.

32. courtney matthews says:

i have been the depo for 5 years and i got off of it in August and i have not got nothing yet it sucks bc my body is messed up from it and i am still waiting.

33. Sami says:

I’m 21 and have been on the depo for just over a year I’ve had 6 injections 3 of them 2 weeks early for the constant bleeding, I was mainly using the depo as a prevention for bleeding as my gp told me it would help, after having the injection my bum would ache for three days my mood swings were uncontrollable, my relationship nearly broke down as i was so emotionally unstable I didn’t feel like a woman, i couldn’t make love with my boyfriend constantly staying in because didn’t want to be to far from a toilet, my legs would ache like someone had stamped all over them to the point I would cry in bed and my bf would feel so helpless because it was so unexplainable, I would get boils on my face that would stay for weeks on end and the general fatigue and nausea many people get the only side effect i didn’t get was the weight gain, I’ve decided not to have another injection I’m due for one on the 2nd of Feb, I’ve now stopped bleeding about two weeks ago for the first time in a year and I feel free again I don’t want to feel hormonal anymore, and I would advise anyone to use condoms don’t fill your body will man made chemicals they all have side effects.

34. keely says:

my last shot should have been oct 22, 2014 and i have been off of birth control since. i had all the nightmares of spotting and breakthrough bleeding,mood swings and weight gain by 25 lbs while taking it for a little over a year, but now that im off it i still haven’t gotten a period, my boobs have hurt like hell and has only gotten worse over the past two weeks id say. and ive already taken two at home pregnancy tests just to try to figure out whats going on, but they were negative. dr appt early feb 4th should hopefully shed some light on this…

35. Nadia says:

I was on depo since February 2013 and had my last shot August 2014… I was extremely fertile before the shot n just wasn’t ready. But now I plan to have a baby or conceive next january 2016. I haven’t had my period or spotting the entire time on depo which was great. When should I expect to start ? My last shot was due october 22 but I didn’t go. I know bleeding will signify my cycle trying to get back in order ….

36. Mackenzi says:

I was on the shot for almost two years, my doctors wanted to me to quit for a couple of unrelated reasons. Since then, about four months after my last shot I started gaining weight uncontrollably, I’ve now gained almost 20lbs I was originally 115 lbs and I’m 5 2′ and 21 yrs old. I now weigh 138 lbs and all that weight has been from the past 3 months.. And on top of that my breast have been extremely swollen and tender and so heavy! If I knew this was going to happen I would have never taken it..

37. brittani says:

I was on the deppo for 2 years, I’m not having much problem coming off of it. But it’s only been 2 months. I do have strange spotting though. I got off the shot due to it giving me cysts on my ovaries that caused me to have unbearable cramping. I’d never had a cyst ever anywhere in my life until I got on the shot. After my second shot I got a glandular cyst on my breast, at first I thought maybe it had been from breast feeding until about 4 months ago when my ob told me I had cysts onmy ovaries. Now imI’m convinced the shot caused it. After being off of it I do sometimes get bad cramps from the cysts. But before I had ever been on the shot I’d never even had real cramps before. Just a warning please get checked for cysts. I’ve not yet been back to see if they’re cancerous yet.

38. Emmaleigh says:

I’ve been on the depo shot for over 2 and a half years and I love it! I never had any negative symptoms; no mood swings, weight gain, unusual cramps, boob/bone pain or irritability. I haven’t had a period in over 2 years and it’s been wonderful! I’ve been taking Calcium and Vitamin D daily to help counteract the bone density and it seems to be doing just fine.

39. Kristina says:

Oh man, it’s so good reading these comments. I was due for my shot on December 15th, and after MONTHS of horrible headaches, middle school quality acne and constant spotting I got so fed up I didn’t get it. (That would have only been my 3rd shot). I didn’t go on any other type of birth controls, and for the last 10-14 days I’ve been thinking I might be pregnant. I’ve heard it happens… but it all started with the aching boobs, then the emotional roller coaster, hip/lower back pain, couldn’t sleep due to not being comfortable, nausea set in, sudden hits of vertigo (while resting). Took a home pregnancy test, negative. Was still worried I could be pregnant when my mom mentioned its probably from going off of Depo. So a quick google search and I stumble across all these other comments where other women were/are experiencing the same as me. Whew! Still made an appointment for the 5th, just to make sure that negative pregnancy test was correct, and to hopefully find a new BC that doesn’t bring hell upon my life and body.

40. Kelslie says:

My last shot was June 2014. I was due for a shot Aug 28th but decided against it. I had a period the whole time I was on depo 1 1/2 years. Since I got off the shot I haven’t bled since Sept 5th. Now I’ve gained some weight and my breasts and nipples hurt very badly. I don’t notice the pain until something rubs against it. Anyone having these issues? I love not having a period but it does scare me. I didn’t know if have all these side effects. My doctors that I had then have never talked about them. I want to be able to have children one day but until I get a period back that won’t be happening. I’m just sick of feeling bad from gaining weight and this new breast pain.

41. lola says:

I want to count myself lucky to be african,cos I complained sometime ago about this injection. I was able to get herbs to clean my womb and under 2hours,I started my period normally and I have menstruated again after my normal 27days…please guys spread it across for friends and colleagues not to do this preventive measure,continually storage of blood in us after taking this injection can cause fibroid and this is what we never banked for,I am perfect and back to normal after 2years,,my last short was in feb. To others in pain,I wish you a fast recovery. Cheers

42. Zaleena says:

Hey, I’m 20 years old and this is my second time on the shot. The first time was about 2 years ago and I was on it for about a year. Was very moody, nausea, and weight gain but I had no period. I got off of it mainly because of the weight gain. I recently got the shot again to prevent pregnancy and it’s been hell. I been spotting for two months, I was due to get a shot last week but mug insurance got cut off and I wasn’t able to. I been having extremely bad headaches and nausea !!! re thinking getting it again. Thought I was the only one going through this!!!

43. Katherine Rose says:

Just a question, I get notifications daily of more and more posts from women who are experiencing an absolute nightmare, like myself. Can’t these posts be shown or submitted to the FDA? Its astounding the lack of research and medical information about the side effects of coming off the depo…it seems like the issues are widespread and not only does these side effects not only of going on the depp, but coming off too need to be discussed by health care professionals with us. There also needs to be some sort of plan (based on unbiased research and testing) to help women coming of the depo. Other wise it needs to be banned immediately.

44. shayla says:

Hi I’m 22 I got on depo on august of 2012 my last shot was supposed to be on October 13 2014 but I don’t get it in I didn’t have any spotting or anything until December 27 2014 I spotted till December 30 2014 the again on January 9 2015 till January 12 2015 it’s now January 24 2015 and I started bleeding like a normal period.before I started depo my period only lasted 3 days but since I got off the shot my brests have been sore the last 3 weeks .my boyfriend and I want to have a baby.how long will it take for my body to get back to normal all the way

45. Hanna says:

I had been on the shot for almost 3 years and never again will I be on it. My last shot was due in October 2014 but I had learned a few scary things about the shot and I refused to stay on it. I didn’t gain any weight but my joints hurt a lot and my shoulders half popped out several times. Since I’ve been off the shot my mood is ever ware and I’m sometimes depressed. I’ve broken out bad with acne. And I still have not a period since October, it’s now January.

46. Francesca says:

I’m 20, and had been on depo for almost 2 years. I was on from Oct 2012 – Jul 2013 should have been my date for my next shot but I missed it due to not having time to go to the doctors. I then had to wait for my period to return which wasn’t until Dec 2013, so 5months since my missed depo. Then from Dec 2013 – Aug 2014 I was on depo again. Again Aug should have been my shot date however this time I decided not to get it again, rather than just not having time to get it. So from the end of Aug 2014, it’s now the end of Jan 2015 and still no period, not even any signs, no spotting, no darker discharge, or any other telltale signs, nothing at all. I’m starting to get so frustrated because the main reason I came off was because I had put on so much weight, and not just the 5lbs they suggest, for me I can fluctuate 5lbs in a day, I put on SERIOUS weight during these 2 years like 3 stone! My diet hasn’t changed since before depo to now, and if anything I’m more active now than I ever have been. I worked in retail for 6 months where I was constantly on my feet all day walking stairs doing heavy lifting and walking to and from work which is a good 20 mins at a brisk pace. I even started walking to uni everyday which is a 15 minute walk up hill, up a very steep hill. And after all that, no change in weight, nothing at all except the usual fluctuations of a about a few pounds from week to week.
    I’m so pissed that I can’t lose weight, especially when I’ve tried at it, I feel like whats the point in even trying because whether I exercise or not, I stay exactly the same! The weight gain was so fast as well it’s left me with massive purple stretch marks, reaching from bellow my belly button, almost up to my breasts, like they cover my whole stomach, I also have them on my breasts and on my arms (massive bingo wings -_- I swear if I flapped my arms enough I could take off.) My moods are all over the place. I always feel stressed. I always feel down. When will this hell end!?!?!?!?!? I’m hoping when my periods start again (right now it feels as though they never will) that my body will get back to normal and I can start to lose all this weight. This is what has been getting me down the most, bless my boyfriend for staying with me and still thinking I look hot when I clearly do not.

47. Zaleena says:

Am i the only one who has a tingling sensation in my vagina?

48. kelsey says:

iv been on it for almost 3 years and haven’t had a period since the first shot. iv now decided to stop and its only been about three weeks since i was suppose to get the shot and iv already had one day that i had cramps so bad they felt like mini contractions and made me physically sick but other than that no signs of getting my period i know this can take a while but is it normal to have cramps that bad? and if any one else has had this happen did you keep getting the cramps until you got your period back?

49. Angela says:

I took the Depo shot one time and didn’t like it. I had a period for 3 weeks that next month and now no period this month. Should I be worried or does it take a while for me to be regular again?

50. ashley says:

I had went on depo after taking Micronor as my Dr said that they were the same except it was in a shot. I was starting to forget to take my pill so I opted for the depo until my boyfriend got snipped. I was supposed to get my second shot on Nov 21 but I would never take depo again. I have had so much problems. The same night I had gotten my first shot I had intense hot flashes , vivid nightmares, Cold sweats and they only continued as well as acne, fatigue, pregnancy symptoms, severe motion sickness, migraines my joints, knees, fingers shoulders and ankles all ache. I didnt gain any weight while I was on the the deop but as soon as I stopped I have gained 20lbs! I still feel pregnant, I have not gotten a period but get the feeling its coming all the time. Severe cramps, random mood swings and depression. I wouldnt reccomend it to anyone.