Blog of the Society for Menstrual Cycle Research

Coming off Depo-Provera can be a woman’s worst nightmare

April 4th, 2012 by Laura Wershler

Need proof that women are sometimes desperate for information and support when it comes to quitting hormonal contraception? You need look no further than the 100 plus comments in reply to an old blog posting at Our Bodies OurselvesQuestions About Side Effects of Stopping Contraceptive Injections.  The comment stream – a litany of woes concerning women’s discontinuation of Depo-Provera – has been active since Nov. 2, 2009.

On March 29, 2012, Rachel, author of the post, wrote a follow-up piece in which she laments: “Although a quick internet search finds many women complaining of or asking about post-Depo symptoms, there isn’t much published scientific evidence on the topic.” Beyond research about bone density and length of time to return to fertility, little is known about the withdrawal symptoms women have been commenting about.

Depo-Provera is the 4-times-a-year birth control injection that carries an FDA “black box” warning that long-term use is associated with significant bone mineral density loss.  Never a fan, I made a case against this contraceptive in a paper for Canadian Woman Studies, published in 2005. The comments on the OBOS post indicate that many women took Depo-Provera without full knowledge of the potential for serious side effects while taking it, or of what to expect while coming off the drug.

Considering that Depo-Provera completely suppresses normal reproductive endocrine function, it is not surprising that many women experience extreme or confusing symptoms once stopping it. Take Lissa’s comment for example, posted on February 21, 2011:

Omg I thought I was tripping. I have been on depo for a year and stopped in jan. My breasts constantly hurt, I put on weight, have hot flashes, and sleeping problems. I pray everyday my cycle returns and stops playing with me. I only spot lightly.

Two and a half years after publication, the original article continues to garner monthly comments. I’ve read most of them and have yet to see one that offers concrete advice or a referral to resources that provide information and support to women looking for both. One such resource is Coming Off The Pill, the Patch, the Shot and Other Hormonal Contraceptives, a comprehensive, clinical-based guide to assist women transition back to menstruation and fertility, written by Megan Lalonde and Geraldine Matus.

Lalonde, a Holistic Reproductive Health Practitioner, and Certified Professional Midwife, helps women establish healthy, ovulatory cycles after using hormonal contraception. She says that women who’ve used Depo-Provera generally experience the most obvious symptoms and have the hardest time returning to fertility.  She finds that every client’s experience is different and will be affected by the status of their cycles before taking the drug, and their overall health. “It can take time to regain normal menstrual cycles, from a few months to 18 months, in my experience,” says Lalonde. “Some women have minimal symptoms while their own cycles resume, while others might have significant symptoms, including mood changes, unusual spotting and breast tenderness.”

The comments to the Our Bodies Ourselves blog post demonstrate that many women are not finding the acknowledgement and support they need to understand and manage the post-Depo transition. Some are disheartening to read, like this comment by Judy from April 12, 2011, and this recent one posted by Melani on March 21, 2012.

In my last re: Cycling post, I asked for input on the Coming Off the Pill Mind Map I created. I’ll be making a few revisions thanks to the thoughtful feedback readers have provided. I had assumed that this guide would be applicable to all methods of hormonal birth control but, after reading these women’s comments about their Depo-Provera experiences, it appears this contraceptive may require its own branch on the mind map.

860 Responses to “Coming off Depo-Provera can be a woman’s worst nightmare”

1. Princess says:

I got my last shot in August 2014 and I still haven’t gotten my period. I’m worried, I keep hoping it will come. Is this normal?

• Dibella says:

The last shot I got was in july 2014, and I am still waiting on my period too! It seems like I cramp some times but my cycle never starts.. it is really taking a toll on my face though. I have never had issues with blemishes or pimples and now I have quite a few. I feel as though I am going through puberty again!
      Best wishes.

• Crysred says:

I had my last shot in June, and I just got my period in the past few days. I’ve found that it’s been exceptionally heavy!

2. Alicia says:

I’ve been on the shot off and on through out the years but this year 2015 I’ve decided not to get it anymore. I didn’t like the mood swings I was having. Also me being hot most of the time had me feeling bad. My breast are also sore. I was suppose to get my shot last month and I’ve started my cycle at the end of last month for 5 days. Usually My cycles are heavy but this time it wasn’t too bad. I’m still having hot flashes at this time. I just want it to get completely out of my system…. Ughhh

3. jennifer says:

I had my first depo needle may 2013 when my daughter was 4 weeks old. It was wonderful, I had no period, I didn’t put weight on. It wasn’t until I read about it being “a woman’s worst nightmare” that I thought of coming off it.I knew that within that year I would want to start trying for baby number two and was question of it taking a while to get back to normal. I had my last needle April 2014 and have been through hell. I have had numerous pregnancy symptoms and can’t tell you how many tests I have done, I have been sent home from work falling asleep at my desk now I have started to gain weight and I have horrible period pains. I have been tested for just about everything diabetes,thyroid everything is negative and am yet to have a period. I have had no answers from any Drs they all give different answers I’ve been told to research it myself and the only thing that I can put together is that it is from coming off this injection. I wish somebody would have advised me to stay away from this I deffinatly wouldn’t recommend it to anyone!

4. Victoria says:

i just wanted to let everyone know that it does get better. I’ve gone through hell sense I got my last shot which was in August of 2014. At first I couldn’t eat or drink anything without feeling sick. I started to break out horribly and I was so bloated it felt like I was actually going to pop. The pregnancy symptoms that I got were so bad my boobs couldn’t even be grazed by a shirt when I was changing without having pain. One day i l literally slept through the entire day the shot made me so exhausted for about a week I could barely keep my eyes open. I had cramps so bad I couldn’t even walk at some points and my mood swings and irritability were so bad I would freak out at anything and if I started crying about something I couldn’t stop. I’m just thankful that my boyfriend stuck through it with me even though I was going completely crazy but it’s now February 10th and I’ve finally gotten my period last night. I was super crampy because my body was so used to not having periods for almost three years but it is such a relief and I already feel better. I know some people it takes up to a year to get there period but I promise it’s not going to be like this forever I wish I never got on the shot and sometimes I would just break down and cry with the frustration of not being able to control my body and my emotions. Just stick it out and do the best you can.

• Hayley Keith says:

I just wanted to thank you for your comment. I am experiencing all of those terrible things since coming off of the depo. I stopped in October after being on it for three years. I thought I may need to go to the hospital but after reading your comment I realize that eventually it will pass.

• Christine says:

Dear Victoria I am so glad I’m not the only one! I’m experiencing the same symptoms and I was starting to think there was something wrong with me!! But this past year my body has changed so much! I had to get off the depo bc of it interfering with my medications a lot! So I bloated up and my obeying said its from the depo and suggested I get off it. I feel like I’m pregnant, I’m. Tired all the time, and I’m crampy! I just want to thank you for your re-assurance bc I sometimes think this is forever and I cannot stand it! Thank you again for posting your comment!

5. Rachel says:

I had my first shot on October 25th/2014. I’m 17, and its one of the worst things i decided to do. I got my period on November 4th and it didnt end until January 25th. it was the worst couple of months. The cramps, heavy flow, mood swings, weight gain. Im glad my boyfriend even managed to stay with me. Once my period ended Jan 25, things were fine until Feb 1st when i had gotten my period again, but this time it only lasted 5 days, which is normal for me. But on Feb 8th it started again, and its very heavy, im not sure if this ones even going to end on time, im terrified i will have it for mo ths again.. i cant handle having my period anymore.

• Jackie says:

I was on the depo for three years. The frst year my period was terrible. Id have it for 2 months then be ok for a few weeks then have it for two months again. After about a year I just stopped having my period completely. I suggest you try a different contraceptive if you cant handle the strange periods. It takes a while to regulate

6. Amy says:

I have had 2 shots of the depo shot one on July 23rd 2014 and one on September 24th 2014 I was supposed to get another one on december 22nd 2014 but I missed the appointment so on January 12th 2015 I told my doctor the things I have been experiancing which was mood swings and spotting for 2 or 3 weeks of each the month since I started the shot. I told him I wanted to switch to another birth control. So my cycle would return to normal. He gave me a prescription for the pill. I didn’t want to start the pills right away because I was having symptoms like I was pregnant so I said to Justin I will wait until I start my period. The last month has been hell I’m having more symptoms of being pregnant I’m gaining weight like crazy amounts of weight mood swings like crazy I’m surprised justin is still with me, I’m having LOTS OF GAS like all day and diarrhea as well I haven’t started my period yet and no spotting at all… until I found this site I swore I was pregnant thanks to my sister Jamie Holloway I have peace of mind she told me I could be side effects from the shot so I looked it up and I wish I never got the shot in the first place.

• Amy says:

I forgot to mention I’ve taken 3 pregnancy test one ( from the dollar tree) on the first of February and 1 ( from the dollar tree) the 5th or 6th of February and 1 ( from winn-dixie) today all were negative

7. Cristina says:

Hi. I have been on Depo for about 6 years now with no severe side effects other than weight gain. I want to get off it now, but should I let my body take a break all together? What is the best birth control to take after being on the depo for so long?

8. [...] but the most sadistic thing that Ana submits to is a shot of Depo-Provera. re:Cycling readers know what I think of this contraceptive: I. Am. Not. A. [...]

9. Nisha says:

My Dr took me off depo in Nov 2014 (been on depo for 7 years) due to me going to the er cause of horrible nausea and unbearable cramps and told me to start my birth control pills on Sunday….at the end of my first pack I had break through bleeding for 5 days like a period but after my 2nd and now my 3rd pack no period…. Had nausea, cramps, barely able to eat without feeling sick, so I took 2 pregnancy tests (both negative)….but its driving me crazy bc I still have not had a period yet….is this normal? I need to know just to ease my mind…someone please help!!!!

• Eli says:

I have been on the depo shot for 5 years. 10 months ago I got off. today (10 months) I got my period for the first time. I have no idea what to expect… will it be heavy? will it last a long time? am I back to normal? I did a lot of research because like many others I see that being regular or getting your period at all is a concern, and I found that in a lot of cases it takes roughly around 8 to 12 months to get back on a normal cycle. I spoke to my dr. about this and she agreed. so good luck to you all. hopefully my experience can give some of you peace of mind.

10. Leesa says:

Has anyone had hair loss, thining, changes to growth rate ??

• Susan says:

Yes, I was on depo for a year and noticed my hair falling out quite a bit. It was thinning so fast. I thought it was stress. It took me awhile to figure out it was the depo. I’ve been off the shot for almost 4mos and no more hair loss!! It’s starting to grow back again. I researched it and many women complained of hair loss with the depo. I would switch birth controls if I were you!!

11. Morgan says:

Hi I’m 10 and I only had one Deposit shot in July of 2014 and was due again in August but lost insurance and never went back blah blah. I didn’t have my period for a while just some light bleeding but now the terrible psychological symptoms are the only thing to warn me. I just bled heavily for 5 days straight, stopped for like 1 and a half and now am bleeding heavily again. My lower abdomen hurts so bad it’s hard to walk. Getting the shot was the first and only time I’ve visited a gyno since and since I was a virgin (still am) he said I didn’t need an exam. So I don’t know if the shot is still having effects, even though it has been about 5 months. I take medicine for anxiety and an antidepressant. Any ideas?

12. Morgan says:

Hi I’m and I only had one Deposit shot in July of 2014 and was due again in August but lost insurance and never went back blah blah. I didn’t have my period for a while just some light bleeding but now the terrible psychological symptoms are the only thing to warn me. I just bled heavily for 5 days straight, stopped for like 1 and a half and now am bleeding heavily again. My lower abdomen hurts so bad it’s hard to walk. Getting the shot was the first and only time I’ve visited a gyno since and since I was a virgin (still am) he said I didn’t need an exam. So I don’t know if the shot is still having effects, even though it has been about 5 months. I take medicine for anxiety and an antidepressant. Any ideas?

13. Morgan says:

Hi I’m 19 and I only had one Depo shot in July of 2014 and was due again in October but lost insurance and never went back blah blah. I didn’t have my period for a while just some light bleeding but now the terrible psychological symptoms are the only thing to warn me. I just bled heavily for 5 days straight, stopped for like 1 and a half and now am bleeding heavily again. My lower abdomen hurts so bad it’s hard to walk. Getting the shot was the first and only time I’ve visited a gyno since and since I was a virgin (still am) he said I didn’t need an exam. So I don’t know if the shot is still having effects, even though it has been about 5 months. I take medicine for anxiety and an antidepressant. Any ideas?

• Samantha says:

Morgan, being 10, 19 or any age, why on earth would you take any type of contraception if you are still a virgin? You havent mentioned that it is to control your periods/cycle, so I don’t really understand why you would.
      All I can say, apart from not recommending Depo to anyone, is please be patient and understand your hormones and bodily cycles and functions will be screwed up for a very long time. Even after one shot!!! It can affect everything.
      I am 10 months in from having my first and only shot and whilst I am getting a period every 24 days now. I still suffer from mood swings and can’t control my weight etc. (I do exercise and eat healthy, but have turned into a fat fricker because of this drug).
      Just remember that I f anything is different to how it was before you took Depo, be certain that it is the affect of Depo.

14. Rae says:

Hi I am 50 years old and have been on depo for 8 years, was put on this shot for high blood pressure (supposedly better for you than the pill). I tried to come off the shot about 2 years and experienced horrendous periods, they would go for 7 days and I would be up all night every night with it, so I went back on it just to stop the bleeding. My weight has ballooned over the past 5 years and it’s very hard to get it off. My last shot was approx. 5 months ago and now I am experiencing abdomen pain, bloating and other abdominal issues. Currently going for tests to make sure it’s nothing else but after researching depo I believe it’s the symptoms of getting off this insidious shot and women should be made more aware of its side effects.

15. Kara says:

I started taking Depo in December 2013 and I only stayed on it for a year. In just one year the only time I didn’t have a period was for about 2 months otherwise I was constantly bleeding. I’ve had numerous BV’s and other simple infections and I’ve gain 30lbs. Since I’ve stopped the shot I’ve been tired, moody, having pregnancy symptoms and having motion sickness. I would never recommend this shot to anyone. I have some girl friends who love it and haven’t had any problems at all. But where I live some doctors refuse to give it out because they know the risks.

16. alesia says:

I have been on the shot since Sept 2013…I haven’t had a shot in 2 months and no cycle just spotting,i only had light bleeding never had a full period. But now I have a loss of appetite for like 2weeks… Is this normal..will my period ever get back on track

17. Kristina says:

Update: after my month of hell from going off of Depo I went and saw my OBGYN and she gave me the nuvaring. It took about a week and a half and I’m finally back to my old self. so there is hope post-depo. It just messes with your hormones so bad it took a new method to get back on track. My doc told me it can take up to 18 months after going off of Depo to become fertile again (get your period), and that horrified me. That’s something the doc who gave me depo never told me.

18. krystal says:

I have taken the depo for the first time last month and have felt horrible since I just want to know all of the side effects that I will have if I decide to quit taken the shot and if I.ll bleed for a month or not im actually scared my doctor didnt tell me anything when he gave me the shot but the only reason why I took it is cuz im having surgery soon and cant afford to get prego right away what do I do plz help im 26 and what to start having babies after surgery

19. Gemma says:

My last depo jab was mean’t to be on the 5th May 2014 – but never went along and had it done as partner and I decided we were ready to try for baby number 2. I knew it would take a while to get regular periods ect and suspected up until a year to wait until I get any. About a month ago I had the worse side effects of coming off depo and that was extremely tender breast, constant peeing, belly jitter ect all that suspects your pregnant – took numerous pregnancy tests and all came back negative. I did some research and its some sort of side effect for hormones to kick start. It was horrid… Everywhere I practically ached… back pain knee pain ect – )it felt like a child again with growing pains – but worse) and than day after valentines day 15th Feb 2015 I had spotting – first spotting of any blood for nearly 5 years. So its a start – got a while to go yet before periods get back into natural and normal rhythm but at least I know my body is slowly but surely getting there :) Keep your spirits up and your body will get there. I went months thinking I would never get back to normal – but your body goes through changes (that hurt like hell) and will return to normal soon :) xx

20. Chanel says:

Hi, II had my first shot January 2014 and had another two after that. I missed the fourth in November due to feeling this was the reason of my terrible weight gain, as my lifestyle hasn’t changed. Since on the 20th of jan I have been having intervals of coming on, and am wondering if this will carry on? Also will the weight gain carry on, how long until this drug leaves my system please?

21. Chrissey says:

I was on the depo for about 6 years because the nurse used to come into college so it was convenient for me! I rarely had periods when I was on it and if I did it was only spotting. I went to see my doctor mid December 14 because I was constantly getting spotting (over a few months everyday) and thought I had cervical cancer, everything was clear, no infection or nothing so I thought it’s definitely my injection then so I didn’t go back for my next shot on Jan 1st this year. The bleeding stopped so I thought I’ll give my body a rest. I came back on my period around the 2nd of Feb and my mood swings and emotions prior to my period were awful! I’m 22 and convinced myself I was pregnant cause I was showing so many symptoms (I’m not) I’d cry at almost anything! the list is endless. I’m still bleeding now and I’m goin back to the doctors next week cause I can’t handle it anymore and I’m shit scared that I have got cancer because my symptoms are so similar. I wish I never got the injection and I don’t see how it is still allowed to be given out to young girls! I had no education on it what so ever and if I had I would not have used it for so long!

22. Courtney says:

All these comments are so insane to me! I’m 23 and have been on depo for 4 years and it was the worst nightmare of my life. I didn’t know that was the root of all the evil i expirance a u til I got off depo. Ever since I started depo I gained 65 lbs, had to sleep at least 16 hours a day I was miserable I had so many thyroid type symptoms no periods that was great but it was not worth all the torment I experianced! I’ve been off for months now, my period came back a week after my shot was due I lost 10 lbs in that week Aswell and Im slowing buding my energy back I still take 2-4* hour naps a day but they’re getting shorter and shorter. IMaybe so so happy I decided to get of the depo I havnt felt this great on 4 years!!

23. suganya says:

How long it takes the depo drug to wean off after its first shot. I had taken this drug on oct 10 and i was supposed to take it on jan 8. But i took it only once. i decided not to take since i wantd to get pregnant. But im not having periods at al. Only havng spotting that too at irregular timings. Hw long it wil take to resume to normal menstrual cycle

24. Melinda says:

I started the depo shot 6 weeks after my second child was born. I am only 25. I have never been through anything so horrible before, and that is coming from someone who have both naturally twice. I have experienced all the rare and terrifying side effects. My life has been a complete nightmare. I feel like I will never feel normal again. I had one injection on December 29th, 2014. Exactly 6 days later I had the worst anxiety attack. Prior to the shot I never experienced it. Again, one week after that episode, I had another one that landed me in the emergency room. That is how I came to learn they were anxiety attacks. I have experienced hell. I have had nausea, headaches, dizziness, close to fainting, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, confusion, jaw pain, chest pain, arm and leg pain, itching, limb numbness, paranoia, irritability, impatient, trouble sleeping, difficulty swallowing, bled for 2 solid weeks, fatigue, cramps, bled vision, double vision, hot flashes, chills, sensitivity to light and sound, loss of sex drive, depression, gas, decrease in milk production, cough, breast pain etc. I experience these every single day. My life has become a complete mess.I will never get the shot again. I am convinced that it’s evil.

25. Melinda says:

I hate auto correct. I meant to say I had both my children naturally with no pain medicine. And I have blurred vision, not bled vision. Nevertheless, I will never take birth control again. Pure evil. It should be out of my system by March 29th, and then I get to experience all the fun affects of getting off of it.

• Ericka says:

I only took one shot as well and that was August of 2012. I experienced everything you are explaining and I thought I would be better once the shot ran out which for me was Nov. 2012 well maybe about a week after I didn’t return for my 2nd shot I started having stomach problems. To this day I still have stomach problems. I have had so many visits to the ER before and after the shot and amazingly all the test come back normal but I still feel terrible. The only thing “wrong” according to lab work is I have low vitamin D and low iron which I’m sure the shot did this or didn’t make it any better once I took it. I’m a small women and I actually lost weight because I had bad acid reflux and I didn’t have an appetite. I have bad anxiety before and after my period. I’m anxious all the time my heart starts racing for no reason and I sweat under my arms so bad its ridiculous. I can go on and on about all the troubles Im having after one shot dam near 3 years later. Im praying for everybody

26. melinda says:

I’m so sorry to hear that! I heard some of the side effects can be permanent. I have an appointment tomorrow for a heart echo, thyroid testing and they are putting a cardiac monitor on me for 30 days. I wish I never would have gotten the shot. Did anything help our is there just no hope?

• Ericka says:

I had all those test as well and all came back “normal” which I was glad don’t get me wrong but its crazy how test come back “normal” yet us women still feel like crap. My thyroid, heart etc. was checked. It got to the point I felt like my doctor was guessing she didn’t even know the problem but it all lead back to the depo shot and until this day she wont link it to it. I did get a women stomach doctor to admit that the depo shot will and can ruin your gallbladder and at one point I was told it was that causing my stomach trouble yet I dont have gallstones or attacks. The only thing that seemed to help me out was TIME. Slowly things start getting better. Most of my problems have disappeared. My anxiety gets bad when my period is about to come on and I still get reminded I dont feel “normal” I wish I never took this stupid shot. Its different for most people but most of my info I get from blogs like this or my own research because doctors will brush you off if a modern test doesnt reveal anything. I feel so frustrated and defeated everytime I go to the doctor for something

27. Fiona says:

I came off depo January 2015 when was due a shot. Back pain started today driving to work. Feels like both my legs from my waist are just so heavy. Have read the effects coming off it. How long does it take to leave your body

28. Erica says:

Ok… So I’m 28 yrs old. I started the shot at 18 and quit at 23. No side effects. I wasn’t careful during sex but didn’t get pregnant either. Thank goodness. I thought I couldn’t get pregnant actually. At 23, my husband and I became pregnant. We decided one was good and I continued the shot at her 6 wk wellness check. My daughter will be 5 this summer and I’ve been on it since. I’ve noticed my hair thinning and loss, fatigue, extreme acne and night and cold sweats. I never thought this was from the shot. Anyone have these same symptoms? I definitely don’t want another kid. But I’m almost 30 and am OVER the 24/7 breakouts!

• Jenny says:

Erica, I have been on Depo for almost 5 years and have the same symptoms — hair thinning/falling out, fatigue, and extreme acne — all of which just keep getting worse with time. I’m almost ready to take the plunge. Next shot is due in one week, and I’m 99.9% sure that I’m *not* going to get it! I’m a little freaked out by the discontinuation symptoms that ladies are describing on this forum, but I don’t see how it could be that much worse than what I already deal with, and in the end it will be worth it to be off the hormones! I am also *so* over these breakouts! It’s worse than being a teenager again! Hope everything works out for you.

29. Amber says:

I am 18 , now, and have been on depo since i was a freshman.sophomore in high school and now am in College. I loved it because i lost weight, acne went away, and i didnt hvae any cramps. ( I got on it due to having 2 periods in a month with only 3 day break in between then would skip a whole month ) Anyway , i recently got off of it and HATE it. I am debating to go back on it due to the crazy weight GAIN, Break outs, and bloat. Has anyone else experienced this? I only got off of it because I am worried about not being able to have kids in the near future. should i go back on it because i never had a negative affect?

30. Melinda says:

Amber, because of your age I would suggest trying a different birth control. Being on the depo for a long stretch can have negative effects such as infertility and especially bone mineral loss. When you get older you could be at risk for osteoporosis. If you have a family doctor or PCP I would talk with them about your options.

31. Deborah says:

I have been on the depo for 2 years now my next shot is due in a few weeks. for the first year and a half on the shot i bled almost constantly. then all of a sudden i stopped. im constantly tired and always yelling and angry at anything and everything. i have NO sex drive. only in the last few months have i gained about 15 lbs. I have no desire to do anything at all cook, clean, take care of anything. I was debating going off it to see if it helps but after reading some of y’alls withdraw symptoms I dont know if i should or shouldnt. it almost sounds worse to go off then to stay on. i dont konw what do you think?

32. shonfur says:

I was on depo for about 5 years on and off (which may have effect my health because a very important detail they tell you is wait til your period comes on before u return to depo) anyway. I only had 1 period before I got on it and bled for about 1 week after getting on it. For the next 5years I never had a period. Got off about 4 years ago. Attempted to get preg unsuccessfully. didn’t get a period till about 2 yrs ago. Start period very irregular. Not a lot of cramping. Really tender breast. Boobs grew. Period was somewhat normal after about a year and just recently or began to revert back to being irregular. I have been trying for 3 years to get pregnant and nothing.. doctor apt in march to test for infertility. Not fun spending 300 just for the check up.. the worst thing about my experience are my breast. They hurt so bad about a week before my period comes on. Unbearable pain where taking my bra off is a project in itself.. no more deposit ever again and never would recommend

33. Danielle says:

I just got my first shot last June and I’m due for my next one in April but I’m not going because I want to be able to exercise and lose weight, since I haven’t even been on it for a year I was wondering if my period will be back within a month of April? I just want to be able to lose weight. Depo hasnt made me gain any but I wanted to lose weight before the shot, when I exercise while I’m on it, nothing happens. At all. So yeah someone help please?

34. Terra says:

I have been on Depo since December 2014.I got the shot the day after I stopped taking the pill. Since then I have been bleeding non stop. Its sometimes extremely heavy along with huge clots and bad cramps that last for two weeks. Other times its light and its only a small amount of blood. I have been to my Obgyn who prescribed me estradiol pills but once I stop taking them I start back with the heavy bleeding and clotting. I am due for my second shot the first of March and I am definitely not going back to get another one. I think im going to stop taking bc and let my body heal from all these hormones.

35. laura says:

I stopped the depo Jan 2014 it’s taken until last month for my 1st period which lasted 3 weeks my breasts are so swollen and painful I can’t stand my fiance touching them they feel like when I stopped breastfeeding my daughter just not as hard I could cry some days with the pain. Has everyone else experienced this I have been to see my Dr and he said its mastitis and will go away grrr. I don’t know what what to do just want to scream at him bloody help me lol xx

36. kelsey says:

I got my depo shot back in November I was due to go back in January end of January but I did not because I started my period January 2nd and it is now March 2nd and I am still on my period with a heavy flow I can’t stand this me and my fiance have discussed starting a family but doing the research on the depo shot it’ll be a year before we can even discuss that topic again just from getting one shot

37. Sarah says:

So, I was on Depo when I was 15, used for 2.5 years and quit December 2004. I switched directly to the patch for another 2.5 years, no issues with irregular periods or crazy cycles. I gained about 35lbs on the shot, and a little more with the patch because I started college. But, after I stopped the patch in Dec. 2007, I have not used birth control at all. Been with partners who have had kids before me and after me…and I am still unable to get pregnant. Has anyone had issues with fertility since being on the shot? As I get older, my periods get worse, as I feel like I am going through menopause or something, hot/cold sweats, terrible cramps, and nausea…but, only on the first day. I am told that nothing is physically wrong with my reproduction area, but fertility checks cost lots of money that insurance does not cover. Thanks!

38. Jennifersweeney says:

Dear fellow females, Ive been on the shot since I was 14 and now I’m 29 , so that is 15 years. Yes I have went off of depo for awhile and went to bcp but I couldn’t take the weight gain and breast tenderness along with nausea.( fyi then i had heart issues and that is another reason i could not take normal bcp ) I will say the whole reason I went on depo at such a young age was because of periods that lasted 2 weeks long that were painful and heavy. I was a virgin at the time. I didn’t have a bad experience with depo I actually lost weight but then again I was so young it could have been baby weight.So at 15 I weighted about 103 pounds and my periods were fine i had a period each month , lasted about a week long or shorter. I never really had acne but through the years it got worse.Now at 29 years of age my last shot was due on November the 15th 2014 and I did not go for my next shot , instead I went on bcps for about two weeks and stopped because I knew that I needed to clear my system out. Everybody that I know thinks I cannot have children because I’ve never gotten pregnant. But now being the age that I’ am I would like to be able to conceive if I wanted too. My main point is that since I have been off of all birth control that I have had non-stop periods and a horrible attitude / mood swings/ loss of weight / hair loss/ and I have had two broken bones because of this terrible shot. My face looks not so nice but I’m a educated individual and now my hormones are going crazy. Plus like many of you nobody told me that my bones would be affected until recently. I just dont feel like myself I tend to go off on my loved ones when its not necessary and just now 3/4/2015 my period is acting like normal which reading the other posts im lucky. I’m truly scared that I will not be able to have a child for along time because of this evil shot and even if I didnt want one thats not the point. the doctors should advise you. I mean I was on this for more than a decade and nobody told me anything other than recently to take calcium pills. Don’t trust the government and the want to be FDA approved birth control methods . So I’m saying its normal to feel crazy and have night sweats and hot flashes I would always get them after my shot. now my hair loss only happened to me after I stopped the shot, now after 3 months its kinda stopped a little but the acne is still here and there but im hopeful. I would suggest an IUD of some kind or just being natural and being careful. I just feel at times that I have lost my whole identity from 14 till 29 because now I’m an emotional roller coaster and trip out on things i would have never done before and now broken two bones and have pain in my lower back like somebody ran over me… So please young beautiful ladies do your research and make sure what your getting yourself into coming from a girl and now a woman that has been on this depo for 15 years. Much love and God bless we will only get better from being off these man made drugs. God made our bodies perfectly without birth control in the Bible when Adam and Eve were introduced. there are other ways that are more natural and i do know that some people benefit from some kind of bcp so Iam open to that. but after my 15 year long rein im over it. I’ll do a IUD or a condom before injecting anything into my body. heck I don’t even get the flu shot. ( FYI my vision has been affected also) Peace out Jen

39. Jennifersweeney says:

Dear fellow females,

40. Katie says:

I’ve been on depo almost 6 years and have been getting joint paint. Spoke with my bf about it and we both decided I should come off it and let my body get back to “normal” then try a diff birth control. What other contraceptive would people suggest?