Blog of the Society for Menstrual Cycle Research

New “Brilliant” tampons

August 20th, 2010 by Elizabeth Kissling

Ladies, are your tampons doing enough? Apparently absorbing menstrual fluid without leaking is no longer sufficient: new, Brilliant pH tampons “are clinically shown to reduce the usual feminine pH increase that occurs during your period.”

But let Dr. Streicher explain in this commercial for Brilliant pH tampons.

Screen cap of Dr. Lauren Streicher ad

Video should open in new window.

Of course, Brilliant also includes a “comfortable, soft plastic applicator” with “smooth rounded tip” and raised ridge for “easy grip”.

8 Responses to “New “Brilliant” tampons”

1. Ashley Ross says:

I’m looking all over for WHY I would want to reduce my pH – they don’t seem to
    want to say. They’re assuming … I am afraid of my acidic vagina? I won’t want to
    questions their authority over the natural chemistry of my body? All the stethoscopes
    will intimidate me into submission?
    I wonder how Dr. Lauren will decorate that second home? I’m sorry, my cynicism is an
    expression of my anger at this blatant attempt to use fear to make money off our
    bodies. Shame on them.

• Antonia says:

I think the idea of this is:
      1. Tampons screw with your natural Ph level (making it higher, which means more *basic*).
      2. This product stops that (returning your Ph level to its normal acidic level).

If this is actually true, it’s not a bad advertisement as far as I can tell. But they don’t back up their claims in the video, so I’m not convinced.

2. Elizabeth says:

Yes, I couldn’t find anything in the FAQ file about *why* reduce vaginal pH is so important. I guess we’re just supposed to trust anyone wearing a white coat. It works at the Clinique counter, right?

3. what exactly are these “natural non irritating” things they want to put into my vagina for no reason?

I thought th raise in Ph is healthy. What does “normal” mean? How you define it is incredibly important. is normal the average for of all women across times of the month? If all vaginas have a rise in Ph, doesn’t that make it normal?

4. Tori says:

When they are “brilliant” enough to come be my personal assistant, organize my day, and find me sufficient time to change them every 30 minutes, then I will be impressed and buy them.

5. Judith says:

Excuse me for being blunt but, what a crock of crap.

6. notemily says:

Acidic is great! Stops yeast infections! That’s why we take *acid*ophilus pills when we have one.

7. Lilly says:

This is a great product for ppl with poly cystic ovarian syndrome, everyones opinion here sux, not everyone has an awesome normal function ing vagina. Since I bleed every single day this reduces my ph. My ph is really high from bleeding so much. I love this product and I’m sticking to it. Instead of an average tampon that sits inside of your vagina keeping high acidic levels that cause an odor I’d rather stick with this product which helps my level maintain order and reduce odor. This product rocks! If you don’t have issues then be grateful to God stop accusing the doctor in the ad for being money hungry. Some women require help for their vaginal well being, not all but some!